Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New Jersey Trip

We just got back from a trip to New Jersey for the weekend. This was a trip planned for a year now. My cousin was getting married on a cruise ship in New Jersey and she asked me to be her maid of honor. So very exciting. I quickly accepted and then began making plans to join her on her special day. We wanted to bad to go on the cruise with her, but alas that was not in the cards for us. So instead we made a mini vacation out of it. We kept the kids out of school on Friday and drove down to New Jersey. We found our hotel and got settled in and then we went over to the cruise port to see if we could find where we'd have to go for the wedding the next day and maybe get a glimpse of the ship. We could not find the ship, but we had a pretty good idea of where we were going. We headed back to the hotel and got something to eat and stayed in for the night. It was an early morning the next day and everyone needed showers.

Then Saturday morning we got up and went down for the continental breakfast the hotel provided. Back to the room then to get everyone dressed. Did hair and makeup and got everyone spiffy. Joe even wore a tie which he only does for weddings mind you. We are on the 5 year plan in my family for weddings. 10 years ago was our wedding, then 5 years ago was another cousin of mine's wedding, and now this one. So I probably won't see Joe in a suit and tie again for another 5 years. Although, I have no idea who would be getting married in 5 years.

We went to the port and got through customs and to where my family was waiting. We hung out in this staging area for 3 hours before we could board the boat. All was going well until my cousin began to panic a little. Her wedding was to be at 1 and at 11 she figured we'd be on the boat and she would have her makeup on. We were still waiting though. And then when we finally got over to the ship there was a very rude lady who tried to push me and my cousin's dress (as I was carrying it) off the elevator. I was having nothing of that though. I was not leaving my cousin's side and certainly not with her dress in my hands. I pushed right back at that lady and yelled at her that I was staying on this elevator because I have the brides dress. She left the elevator and we went up to my cousin's room. Although, it wasn't ready yet. So we had to wait until they could figure out what was going on. We got in there though and my cousin began getting ready. We calmed her down and once the dress was on she was relaxed and happy again. She got ready in plenty of time.

Then the picture parade began. Tons of pictures. We headed to the room she was to get married in and the wedding began. I didn't realize until I was in the room and under the hot lights that it was 1 p.m. and I hadn't eaten since 7 a.m. Suddenly I was very hot and very faint. I stood there as long as I could not really paying much attention to the service. Trying to figure out would it be best to sit down on the chair behind me or remain standing. I wasn't sure that I could stand there too much longer though. I finally opted to sit. My cousin was none the wiser either which I think was best. The last thing she needed was to have her maid of honor pass out and all of the attention focused on me. So I'm glad I sat. I was able to get back up after a few too and did okay. My cousin, the very happy bride, was married. We then had more pictures taken and took a tour of the boat where we heard tons of people going oh look a bride and yelling congratulations.

Then back to the room for food and dancing. It all went very quick though before we had to get off the ship and say goodbye to the bride and groom. We left the boat and headed back to the hotel exhausted. We changed and then went to get some sunblock and something to eat. Then back to the hotel for the night.

Sunday we surprised the kids with a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure. They had no idea and they were very excited. It was a good time. All of the kids enjoyed that.

Finally on Monday we packed up and checked out of the hotel and then went to Liberty State Park to take a ferry over to the statue of liberty. It was a long day of walking and climbing, but lots of fun. When we finished there it was already after 5 and we still had a 2+ hour drive home and needed to get something to eat. So we headed home. Didn't get home until 10. Sent the kids right to bed after we got home as they had to get up early to go back to school or rather go on field trips with school.

I have tons of pictures to share. So be prepared to see them over the next few days. We're glad to be home, but also feel like there wasn't enough time to do everything we wanted.