Saturday, August 2, 2008

9 Months of CJ



Yesterday CJ was 9 months old! I would have posted this yesterday, but I was too busy Making Memories.

It's hard to believe CJ has been in our lives for nine months. It has been a whirlwind. He's come a long way. He was born via c-section on November 1st 2007 at 8 a.m. He was in a breech position with the cord wrapped around his neck twice. I should have known then life was going to be an adventure with him. We started out having to send him to the special care nursery because he wasn't regulating his temp. So he spent time being warmed in an incubator. I only got to see him for a few minutes before they took him away. And then he didn't come back to me until the afternoon. He wasn't done there though. While we were in the hospital he became jaundice. It was back to the special care nursery for photo therapy. Now we were down to only being able to have him out every three hours for half an hour for feedings. We weren't discharged until five days after his birth.

We were so happy to have him home, but his weight became an issue very quickly. I was going in for weekly weight checks. He even lost weight at a time. I was being accused of not feeding him. He was admitted to the hospital for another five days and we were worried out of our minds. This was when he was 3 months old. They made me stop breastfeeding and put him on 24 calorie formula. Things didn't entirely improve from there though. He was slowly putting on weight and finally in the end of April I found a new doctor who was willing to explore more. All this time the poor little guy had acid reflux. Now that he's on the 24 calorie formula and acid reflux meds he is thriving. We finally got to stop the weight checks and just go in for well baby visits.

And this also gave us the chance to focus on other issues that went by the wayside during all this worry of his weight. First there was the fact that he hates tummy time and wasn't sitting up. So we got him in to Birth to Three. He's been receiving physical therapy for 2 months now and is doing great. Then there was the discovery that the back of his head is slightly flat. So we got the referral to Cranial Tech and now he's wearing a DOC band 23 hours a day for the next 12-14 weeks.

Not sure what will come up next with him. It has been an adventure every single day though adjusting to life as the mother of a little boy, but I wouldn't give up any troublesome moment we've had for the world. He has handled everything these doctors have thrown at him with a beautiful smile on his face and probably a lot better than I have. He has taught me a lot in just the 9 months since he's been here and I'm sure he'll continue to teach me a lot more.

I love you my baby boy! Happy 9 month birthday and thank you for adding so much excitement to my life!

8 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Definitely an adventure with your son. I can only imagine what the teenage years will bring!

jOni lAnE said...

Hooray for making memories! So glad to hear your little CJ is doing so well!
smiles,
joni

Erin said...

HAPPY 9 MONTH!!!
Never a dull moment huh? at least he is always so happy! beautiful boy!

McMommy said...

I'm telling ya...little boys love to make an adventure out of everything!!

He is adorable! Happy 9 month birthday, CJ!

Jenny said...

what an amazing little boy you have! Happy 9 months!

Unknown said...

Happy 9 months!

Melissa said...

He is so cute!!!

Angelique said...

Awww...Happy 9 months! He's just adorable!