Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just Clowning Around

Tonight the girls and I went to a carnival at the school. And what carnival would be complete without a clown? Who was that clown? Her name is Sparkles and she's very close to me (and when I say very I mean very).

CJ meeting Sparkles for the first time. Get me out of this strange ladies arms. She sounds like mommy, but it's not mommy


That goofy Sparkles and her hi jinks with Natalie and Kaitlyn


So have you figured out who it is yet? That's me! What, Monica's a clown? Yes, I am a professional clown. I've been doing this since I was 15 years old. When I was in high school the priest at my church used to do magic shows as fundraisers for the church. I was one of the magicians assistants. His wife was a clown and one year they decided to do an entire circus magic act in the magic show. They asked me to be a clown and Sparkles was born. The first time I dressed up as Sparkles my own mother did not recognize me. Sparkles is a completely different personality from me. She's not so shy.

Anyways, I don't put on the makeup often at all especially now that I have kids. This was the first time I've done it since CJ was born. He did not like it. He couldn't take his eyes off of me, but he did not want me touching him that's for sure.

So why did I put it all on tonight? Well, the after school program was having a carnival. Now my children do not attend the after school program, but the after school program has been helpful to the PTA over the years. So when I heard they were doing a carnival I offered my clowning services. They invited the girls to come. I wasn't planning on bringing them, but they really like seeing me as a clown. They had such a good time as you can see in these pictures...

Kaitlyn got her face painted


Natalie got her face painted


They wanted to go to sleep with their face paint on, but I wouldn't let them. So I told them I'd take a picture instead. That was good enough for them. I made balloon animals tonight. I disappointed a few boys because I won't make swords. I know how, but I won't do it. Oh well they figured out something else to have instead. I ended up teaching one of the parents how to make balloon animals. He got a kick out of that.

It was a fun night, but also very exhausting. It takes me an hour to put the makeup on. Then another half hour to take it all off. I do enjoy getting to be someone else for a little while though. I am thinking of retiring Sparkles though. I think Sparkles needs to grow up a little. I have this vision of a new costume, but I don't have the money to make it happen. Maybe someday. I think I better start putting it all on more so CJ won't be afraid of clowns. The girls never had a problem with me as a clown. They always somehow seemed to know it was me. Natalie however did go through a phase where she was afraid of anyone else who was a clown. She's not afraid anymore though.

0 comments: