Thursday, February 5, 2009

Letter to Principal

I am meeting with the principal today at Kaitlyn's school to discuss her reading. I am requesting that he test her for learning disabilities and someone suggested I put that request in writing to the principal. Something about they have to take action when there is a request in writing. So whatever it takes to hopefully find an answer to Kaitlyn's reading troubles. Here's what I wrote:

Dear Mr. Audette,
I am writing in regards to my daughter Kaitlyn Barnes most recent reading test. She is reading at a DRA level of 6 at this point in time which I understand to be substantially deficient. I am very concerned and strongly urge you to have her tested to make sure there are no learning disabilities holding her back.

Kaitlyn works so hard at reading, but yet she seems to be at a stand still. She is receiving lots of assistance at school and at home as well, but there are days when she cannot read her high frequency word list and days when she can. I have spoken with Mrs. Gokey about where we go from here and I know she’s been documenting the things that are happening with Kaitlyn in class. I have also expressed my concerns to Mrs. Gokey and even last year to Miss Bouvier that she could have dyslexia. There is a strong family history of dyslexia as she has an aunt and an uncle with it and numerous cousins. I do not believe that retention is the best option for her though since for the most part this is the only area where she is struggling. This is why I strongly urge that we test and find a new approach to teaching her reading.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. I hope that we can work together in helping Kaitlyn learn to read. She enjoys school so much and I would hate to see her become discouraged if there was anything we could do to help her.

Sincerely,

Monica Barnes

1 comments:

Erin said...

Excellent Monica.... I hope that they take action... SOON! Keep us posted!
Do you know if your insurance has any sort of testing covered by it? Maybe? Ask her pediatrician??
That is also a more un-biased approach.... GOOD LUCK!!!!