Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Is 66 Too Old?

I have to say YES! Sixty six is much too old to have a baby. Sixty six is much too old to be a single mother having a baby. Maybe it's age discrimination. I don't know, but seriously why would anyone want to go through this at sixty six?

I am 30 years old and I'm exhausted. I couldn't imagine doing all of this at 66. Is that fair to the child? Or in the case of the 66 year old British woman pregnant with twins; is it fair to the children?

What is wrong with these doctors? They can hide behind it's the woman's choice all the want, but at some point don't they have to take into consideration the situation they are putting these children they are making into? Now I'm all for helping women who really want babies get their baby. Don't get me wrong. The technology is a wonderful thing that they are able to give loving parents a child to call their own, but there has to be guidelines.

And there are guidelines. Most places have a cut off of the age of 50. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Not that I'd want to have a child at 50 or anything, but it's way better than 66.

Someone needs to stop in and start putting limits on these fertility doctors. Single moms who already have 6 children should not be adding another 8 babies to their family. A woman at the age of 66 should not be helped in becoming pregnant for the first time. Isn't anyone thinking about the future of these children and what kind of lives they are going to live or what they might have to deal with at such a young age that no one else their age has to deal with?

Maybe it's just me and maybe I just haven't caught up to technology. I mean the first test tube baby was cause for stir some 30 years ago or so. And now look where we have come.

1 comments:

Erin said...

I dont think it is right. ugh. That is 10 years older than my mother! YIKES. no... not good.