Monday, March 22, 2010

Sometimes I Wish I wasn't the Grown Up

Isn't it funny how when we're kids we can't wait to get older. I remember I couldn't wait until my 10th birthday because then I was double digits. Then it was 13 because I'd be a teenager. Then it was 15 because I could get a job. Then it was 16 because I could drive a car. Then it was 18 because I'd finally be an adult capable of voting and smoking if I so chose ;). Then it was 21 because then I could drink.

Well, I have surpassed all of those milestones and would give anything to go back to any one of them. What do I have to look forward to now? Oooh, 40 to be over the hill. 50 to be middle age. 65 to retire.

You know what being an adult has brought me? Gray hairs, wrinkles, and funerals to attend. I found out today that a good friend's father passed away over the weekend. Her daughter and Natalie are best friends. So now along with the rest of my weekly plans I'm throwing in there attending a wake. Juggling getting a friend's kid to school and someone to watch CJ. Thankfully it's on Joe's day off so he can handle all of that. This is the 3rd funeral I have attended in the last six months.

Another friend's father passed away in October and I attended his wake. Then Joe's grandmother in December and now this. Before I was an "adult" I attended a total of 2 funerals I think. And legally speaking one of those funerals I was actually an adult. I guess I was fortunate enough to not have to deal with a whole lot of death when I was young.

Meet Raymond Alvarez:

Father of 2 and grandfather of 7


May Raymond Alvarez Rest In Peace. Hilary, the Barnes Bunch is so sorry for your loss.

0 comments: