Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Things that make you go Hmmmm

So I called up the kids pediatrician today, the one we are leaving to find out about getting their records. One of the nurses answered the phone. I knew exactly who it was since we've been there so many times for weight checks. I didn't give my name or anything or the kids names just told them what I wanted and she told me how to go about getting it. I told her I'd be there this afternoon. Before I hung up with her though she asked me why we were leaving. I told her I just wasn't happy with how the doctor has been handling my son's case and wanted to get another opinion about it. So she goes, "Oh good as long as it's not the staff here." Huh, that's a strange response. Wouldn't you want the doctor you are working for to be doing a good job? I mean sure the office staff is important in the whole experience too and I must say I never once had a problem with any of the nurses there or receptionists. They were all very nice.

Oh well though, whatever. So this afternoon I go to drop off the form they needed to transfer the records. I picked the right day or week anyways to do this I think. The doctor is on yet another vacation (I think this is the 5th one he's been on since CJ was born). I didn't have to deal with him though. The nurse who answered the phone was there and the Physician's Assistant was there. They had no patients at all. CJ was seen by the Physician's Assistant once while the doctor was away. She wasn't all that helpful in listening to my concerns either though. And after the conversation I had with her today that makes me scratch my head even more. They were both very nice though. It's going to take a little more than a week for the records to get to the new doctor, but the PA had the nurse print out CJ's weight checks, immunization records, and the head ultrasound results that he had done a month and a half ago. She said the new doctor is probably going to really want that stuff. So I thought that was great. While the nurse was getting all of that stuff I was chatting with the PA who told me she thought I was a saint and very patient. She said that if it were her who was going through what I went through as a parent that she would have been screaming at the doctor. They all seemed very unsure of why the doctor wasn't doing more for CJ. And yet they are all still working there. If they disagree with the care that he is giving then why are they still there? They asked me if I can to let them know how CJ is doing under the new doctor's care though. Boy do I wish one of them had spoken up sooner about their opinion of this whole thing. Apparently I was the talk of the office and my patience.

Seeing all of CJ's percentile's in print together now really has me wondering why in the world the doctor is okay with how he's doing even now. It wasn't long ago that he had gotten above the 3rd percentile and then dropped down below it again and the doctor said nothing about that. I am even more anxious now with all of this information in tow to meet this new doctor and hopefully get a plan of action in place. Only two more days until we get to meet her. I can't wait.

0 comments: