Monday, April 5, 2010

Choices...

Since we moved back in January in the back of my mind has been what am I going to do for school for next year. We moved out of district from the elementary school the girls attend and I am the PTA president at. I luckily was able to keep the girls at their school for the rest of this year. I of course have to drive them there, but that's not a problem.

This is Natalie's last year at the school. She goes to middle school next year. We are still zoned for the same middle school. Otherwise I might not have kept her there so she could make friends before going to the middle school. I didn't have to worry about that though.

So now the burning question is Kaitlyn next year. Do I put her in her home school or do I keep her at the school she has been present at since before she was 2? The school where I have a good relationship with everyone. Where I know the teachers. Where Kaitlyn knows her way around.

Or do I put her in this completely new school? Will it be better for her? Will it be better for me? What about CJ?

CJ will be 3 in November. There is a great 3 year old preschool program that he could attend at a completely different school from any of the ones Kaitlyn could attend. It's only 2 hours a day, but it either starts at exactly the same time as Kaitlyn goes in or it ends at exactly the same time Kaitlyn gets out. And it's clear across town (a 15-20 minute drive) from the school she goes to now. If Kaitlyn goes to her home school she'd be bused. I could get CJ to the preschool program.

But am I ready for CJ to start school? He's not potty trained. That is okay though. I know that he would thrive with other children. It really would be a great experience for him. But he's my baby. I don't think I'm ready to admit that he's just about school age.

The principal seems to think it wouldn't be a problem for Kaitlyn to stay at the school next year. I need to make up my mind about this soon. If she's going to a new school I need services set up for her. I can't wait really and hope that she will get the approval from the BOE to remain at the original school. The principal can say yes I really want this child to stay, but really the BOE gets the final say in it.

So over the next few weeks I have a lot of choices to make. In September all three of my kids could be in completely new schools though making new friends. What a thought. Makes me very scared for them. Shhh, don't tell the kids I worry. I keep telling them everything will be okay and they'll love the new school.

Hey, I wonder who will take over as PTA president if I did leave the school. We only had the officers there tonight for parents. The rest were teachers and staff. Not sure who else could or would commit themselves like that.