Wednesday, June 18, 2008

CJ's Weight

Who knew? Feed your kid Pringles and he'll gain weight. Nah, I'm just kidding, he didn't get into that can of Pringles, although he really was trying to get them open. CJ had another weight check today. Actually, we managed to go a month this time so we're doing good. He's now up to 16 pounds 15.6 ounces. Almost 17 pounds ;). That's a 20 ounce weight gain in 34 days to be exact. So we're happy happy happy. The doctor is happy happy happy. So happy in fact that we actually don't need to come back until he has his 9 month check up. And actually since they are booked in August we aren't even going for that until September when he'll be 10 months. Wow! What a great feeling.

But you know the worry wart mommy in me can't leave anything alone. His therapist has been bringing up a cranial helmet being a possibility for CJ because the back of his head is flat. She's been telling us that just by getting him up off his head we can possibly avoid that, but I want to be prepared so I brought it up to the doctor today. We have a consultation in Clinton, CT (over an hour away) to see if he does in fact need a helmet. His doctor did tell me it's cosmetics and this is not causing him any sort of brain damage. So there's not really a huge medical need there, but it could get worse as he gets older and then we wouldn't be able to fix it. Now of course I don't want my son to have a flat head. He's a peanut so there's plenty there for other children to pick on him for. So if I can make life a little easier for him in the future I definitely want to do that. So I have set up an appointment today to have him evaluated at this place on July 3rd. They will tell us if he does in fact need to have a helmet or not and can answer all of our questions about it I'm sure. So I'll have to keep you updated on how that goes.

And then of course the whole chicken pox worry since I have shingles. As long as he doesn't touch my blisters (they are covered by clothing) and I wash my hands after touching them he should be fine. If he does get them, then I will call the doctor and she can prescribe something to make them less severe. So now we just have to wait and see. Hopefully he stays pox free, but if not we'll be ready for it.

So that was our doctor's appointment today for CJ. The girls have physicals coming up in July so I don't really get that much of a break from the doctor's office, but it will be nice to be going there for another child besides CJ.

1 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

YAY for CJ on the weight gain! I've had a few friends whose kids have needed the helmet and their heards are just beautiful now! I'm glad you're goin to find out for sure!