Monday, June 16, 2008

I have Shingles

So last week I had this burning itching feeling on my back and chest. I thought it was the heat because there was no rash. Then Friday night I noticed this little patch of blisters on my back. It didn't really bother me too much though. I put some first aid spray on it. It didn't improve though. So I started researching what it could be. Saturday afternoon I started getting blisters under my arm. That was annoying. My back was getting itchy and then these blisters are developing under my arm. I kept coming up with shingles.

Sunday it started getting painful. Not too bad, but I was sore. So I figured I need to call the doctor. I called the doctor, but the on call office staff was less than helpful and I wasn't about to spend the day in the emergency room. So first thing this morning after waking up at 5 a.m. in so much pain I was crying I called my doctor's office. They were able to get me in for 11 today. This is the kids second to last day of school and it's a half day. Kaitlyn was in at 11 and I was supposed to do two class ice cream parties for the PTA at the school at 11:45. So I called my other officers and got one of them to take care of the ice cream party for me and Joe brought Kaitlyn to school for me. CJ and I were off to the doctor's office.

The doctor looked and said, "Oh yes, you have a very bad case of shingles." So medication time for me. And as far as CJ goes, the 7 month old without a chicken pox vaccine, well my doctor wasn't sure what to say about him. She told me to call his doctor which I planned on doing anyways.

One brick wall after another though his doctor is on vacation. She'll be back tomorrow. The receptionist only could help me with a child exposed to chicken pox, but didn't have answers for a baby. The girls were both vaccinated so I'm not too worried about them. Of course with CJ's weight gain issues I always worry. If he gets chicken pox will he stop eating? How will he handle it? How bad could it be for his tiny little body? I was given the on call doctor's number though and the receptionist is going to speak to the nurse when she comes in today. The nurse could call me today with some information and if not then I'll hear from the doctor tomorrow anyways. Plus, CJ does have a weight check on Wednesday.

So for now I guess all I can do is take care of myself and keep an eye on CJ. I am on Valtrex for a week three times a day, Prednisone for 12 days, and Zovirax cream I guess as long as the rash is there twice a day. I can take ibuprofen for the pain. Let me tell you shingles really does hurt.

1 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

OUCH! So sorry to hear about the shingles!! i hope you feel better soon and that CJ doesn't get the chicken pox!