Thursday, June 12, 2008

No Ice For You!

Natalie still has a sprained ankle. It is improving, but I've still been having her wear the ace bandage because it's still swollen. I also still give her ice. Yesterday when she went in to school I went in with her and went to the nurses office to talk to her and make sure if she needed she could come down and get ice. She said no problem, her ice isn't all that cold because of the heat or something, but she would do the best she could. Natalie was with me so the nurse knows exactly who she is. Natalie even went down to the nurse to get ice yesterday. Today I sent her to school without giving her ibuprofen. I want her to start getting off the pain medication and see how she does. I told her she could go get ice from the nurse if it was bothering her and if it got really bad she could call me and I'd bring her the pain medication. She actually forgot her water bottle today so when I brought Kaitlyn to school this afternoon I went in and gave her her water bottle and had the pain medication in case she needed it. She said she was doing okay and didn't want it though. Then today when I brought her home she was telling me that she went down to the nurses office to get ice and she told her no she couldn't have it. She said she asked her what happened and Natalie started to explain how she fell off the monkey bars last week and sprained her ankle and the nurse actually told her it wouldn't help her now. Ummmm, hello this is a child that had a doctor's note about a sprained ankle. She was wearing an ace bandage when she went in there. Now I do get that some kids do go to the nurses office for every little thing, but Natalie is not one of those kids. The nurse didn't even take time to look at her and see that her ankle was swollen or even had an ace bandage on it for that matter. This is a child she doesn't see often for things so she should have at least looked at the ankle before deciding it doesn't need ice. I'm furious about this. I told Natalie that I would call the nurse tomorrow and tell her doctor's orders she is to have ice if she needs it!!! I said if she still wouldn't give it to her then to call me and I'll come bring her ice. I am so mad that she was denied ice especially considering that I, her mother, personally brought her to her office yesterday and requested that if she needed ice she was to get it from her. This isn't the first time that this woman has neglected one of my children either. She really is messing with the wrong person. I definitely plan on talking to the principal about this. I certainly expect tomorrow that Natalie will tell me that she got a whole freezer full of ice when she asked for it. I still can't believe she told her ice isn't going to help you now. Hmmmm, I wonder what the doctor would say about that since that was exactly what she told us to do with it.

1 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

UGH how frustrating! I definitely would have a few words for that woman. I love our school nurse but I have several friends who have had problems with theirs.