Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Big C Strikes Again

I found out last night that my best friend's mother has lung Cancer. I was shocked at first. Although, I don't really know why. Her mother did smoke a lot and I knew she was being tested for it. I was sad for my friend and her children. I was angry for my friend because this isn't the first time Cancer (and lung Cancer at that) has effected her life this year. Her ex and father of her oldest child was diagnosed with it a few months ago. Things are looking good for him thankfully. But here's my friend just seeing her ex get in the clear of this and now has to watch her mother go through it. I feel all the pressure and stress that my friend is going to be under and I so wish I could lift that burden from her shoulders. She's overwhelmed, scared, sad, and probably a little angry too.

I will do my best to help take some of the burden off of my friend. I know that her mother's care will completely fall on her shoulders since she's the only one of her siblings involved and capable of caring for her mother. But then what do I do for her almost 20 year old son in the Marines and overseas? What do I do for her 14 year old daughter who has been cutting herself? What do I do for her 5 year old and her 4 year old who have no clue what Cancer is and are just going to be wondering why they can't spend their once a month night over Grandma's anymore? What do I do for my friend as she's bringing her mother to doctor's appointments and hospitals and caring for her own mother?

My friend was there for me to take my kids when we lost Celeste and she was there supporting me when we said our goodbyes to her. So I guess it's my turn to return the favor. I am so worried about her well being right now. She's had such a difficult year and she's been so strong through it all. It's really not fair though! She needs a break! Cancer sucks!

1 comments:

Erin said...

I am so sad for her... and scared... I feel so badly.... I wish there was something I could do too... I will be praying for her, her mother and her whole family for the strength to overcome this horrible disease.
The best you can do is be her friend... and help whenever she needs you... almost makes sense of all of the TN stuff being up in the air....
((((hugs))))