Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chili's Night

So remember how I said here this has been a great week for the kids? Well here's another reason why. Boy, I don't know how much more I can take of this beaming from ear to ear with my wonderful kids.

Natalie had a special treat Tuesday night. She was one of only 8 other students in her class chosen to go with her teacher to Chili's. And why you may ask? Because she knows her multiplication facts. All of the students were told at the beginning of the year that if they get every single one of their math tests right then the teacher would bring all of those students to Chili's at the end of the year for dinner. Natalie did it! Natalie was the only student in her class to do it actually. She studied hard. I quizzed her hard. She knows her multiplication facts from 1-10 like the back of her hand.

Now wait a minute you said she was one of 8 other students who got to go. How did those other students manage to go along if Natalie was the only one to get all of her tests right? Well, I'm guessing her teacher didn't feel it would be appropriate to only bring one student. It might look bad and all. So he gave the whole class a second chance to redeem themselves. He gave them one more test with 50 multiplication problems and five minutes to complete it. Those who got all of them right would be able to join Natalie. And if still no one did it then Natalie was going to have to choose two other students to join. Natalie did not want it to come down to that. She didn't know who to pick. So thankfully 8 others got it all right. Oh, and FYI, Natalie took that test too and got all of them right again.

So anyways, Tuesday night was the night. One boy couldn't make it. Natalie was relieved about that because apparently this boy picks his nose. Ewwww, gross. Natalie was very nervous. I don't really know why. I brought her there. I offered to allow her to take my camera to take pictures of her fun, but she said no. Then as I got home and was taking CJ out of the car my phone rang. I answered it and much to my surprise it was Natalie. She wanted to make sure I was bringing my camera when I picked her up. I guess she wished she had taken me up on my offer. I wish she had too so I would have more than just this picture to share. But this will have to do.

Natalie at Chili's with her math wiz friends and their teacher.


Natalie was all smiles and happy about her time on the way home. She even got dessert out of the deal (a milk shake). We never buy her dessert when we eat out. She did confess to me that she was going to cry when I left. She doesn't know why and neither do I. I think that might be part of the reason why she called me. She said she felt better after she talked to me. Well, I'm glad I can reassure her without even knowing I'm doing it.

0 comments: