Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Save our FRC

I'm sure my long time readers have heard me talk about the Family Resource Center (FRC). When we first moved here 5 1/2 years ago we knew no one. I met my neighbor through an online yahoo group we were on together. She told me of the FRC at the local elementary school. Since at the time the girls were only 4 1/2 and 1 1/2 I knew nothing of the schools. They hadn't entered the schools yet. So she was telling me about these playgroups and Tune Times they have for children birth to 5. Well, this was perfect. I was becoming increasingly disappointed with the preschool I had Natalie in and wanting to remove her from the school. But her having a speech delay I did not want to do it if I didn't have some way for her to be around other children around her age. So when my neighbor told me about this I said okay this sounds perfect. I called up and spoke to a woman named Carol. She told me when and where they were and to come on they'd be more than happy to have us. So the following week I went with the girls. I knew no one there. Carol came up and introduced herself and welcomed us. I went to the puzzle table with the girls. Linda eventually came over and introduced herself to me as well. I didn't really know any of the parents, but I felt so welcome and it was such a nice environment for my young children. Plus, this was the school in our district. Natalie would be attending this school in September for Kindergarten. So it was nice to already be familiarizing ourselves with this elementary school and some of the people in the building.

Now fast forward 5 years and I still attend those playgroups that originally brought me to the FRC. Both the girls are no longer able to attend, but CJ and I go. I know everyone there. Carol and Linda are still there running them.

Now let me go back again. At first I thought all the FRC had to offer were these playgroups. I was so wrong though. As I got prepared for Natalie to start kindergarten I began to learn what a presence the FRC has in the school. They are huge. I began volunteering my time in the FRC. I was invited to join the PEP group (People Empowering People) when Natalie was in Kindergarten. I helped plan their May International Dinner for the school. I offered my clowning expertise for that event. I also had helped plan a Child Safety class for parents to take through the FRC. So many doors were being opened up to me at this time.

After graduating from PEP I continued my work with the FRC. They are the ones who pushed me two years ago to run for PTA president of the school. I did and I won. I don't know that I would have gotten as involved in the PTA as I did, or rather stay involved if the FRC wasn't there supporting me. We had some glitches with the previous officers as I was trying to get my foot in the door of the PTA. The FRC was there helping me through it all though.

But what about what they've done for my kids? Well, they have given Natalie and Kaitlyn great confidence in the school. They have talked to my girls when we've gone through difficult times in our family. They have provided winter coats, back packs, school supplies, and countless other things to children in the school who couldn't otherwise afford things. And numerous times a year all the kids get free books from the FRC through book share and the Reading is Fundamental program.

Mostly they have been a huge help to me when CJ was going through problems from birth. We were struggling with a doctor who wasn't listening to me and was more interested in accusing me of starving my son. They helped me to find a new doctor who would listen. I ended up joining their PAT (Parents As Teachers) program last year. I did it initially thinking I don't need this. CJ is my third child. Been there done that. I know how to parent. I was doing it to help someone new to being a PAT teacher. I never imagined how much help she would actually be to me. In all of our concerns about CJ's weight gain his development wasn't a huge concern to us. We were constantly worried with the pounds he was putting on. So when we did our first Ages and Stages and discovered that CJ's motor skills were falling behind I was surprised. He wasn't greatly behind, but enough to throw up some red flags and get Birth to Three involved. So the FRC helped me get someone from Birth to Three out to evaluate. They came out and determined he did qualify for services. He's just recently been discharged because he's doing so well. However, I still worry. So my PAT teacher is doing another Ages and Stages to see where he is now and then when we go back in September we'll see if he's still doing well. I am so reassured to know that we have this resource to fully monitor his progress and make sure he stays on the right track for development. I don't know what we would do without it.

Most recently the FRC has helped us out in a financial matter. When we lost our Angel Celeste back in December we did not have the money to cremate her. We did not want her to be tossed out as medical waste though so the FRC helped us fund the process. Not only that, but everyone in the FRC rallied around us and brought food and attended her memorial service and were just such a great support to us morally.

Now you might be wondering why is she singing the praises of the FRC so much? Well, it's because next year we might not have an FRC in our school any longer. I don't know where that would leave us with CJ. But even on a wider scale I have seen the amazing things that have been done for so many families at the school in helping with financial matters and so many other things that arise. So many more families are in need now with the state of the economy so losing the FRC at the school would be a huge blow.

The governor of CT has proposed new budget cuts. Originally she was saying all funding would remain in place for the FRC's. Now, however, she's proposing all funds be cut from the FRC's in CT. This would virtually close down the FRC. We can't have that. I understand cuts need to be made to prevent raising taxes, but the FRC is not a place to cut. Our families need them more than ever now. So I don't want to see these funds cut out of the budget. If anyone reading is in CT and would like to help me support our FRC please leave me a comment to let me know. I will get you all the information you need to contact the governor and tell her not to cut our FRCs. Lets work together to save our Family Resource Center!

0 comments: