Monday, June 1, 2009

They're like Two Cats

So having two girls three years apart in age makes life interesting I tell you. Okay, having children period makes life interesting, but more specifically I mean the little scuffles my girls get into.

Here is a common thing in my house:

Kaitlyn: Mommy, Natalie hit me.

Natalie: I did not.

Kaitlyn: Uh huh

Me: Natalie, tell the truth did you hit your sister?

Natalie: completely trying to twist herself into a knot I think Well, yes, but it wasn't hard?

Me: Natalie, you know there's no reason for putting your hands on your sister, but why did you do it?

Natalie: I uh oh ah eek well you see she ummm yeah ooooh Oh I don't know!

Usually it's for something small like Kaitlyn took something of hers. Very rarely is it because Kaitlyn hit her first. That does happen on occasion though.

So anyways, needless to say their bickering has me at my wits end. I've thought about throwing them in a room together like two cats who don't get along with a can of tuna fish and locking the door. Let them fight it out with each other, but that would probably have DCF at my door.

So the other day I was reading my friend Renee's blog. Her two oldest are the same age as my girls. Although hers are boy and girl instead of two girls. Well, apparently she's been having the same problem as me and has instituted this new rule. So I said to myself hey that's a pretty good idea, lets give this a try.

So that morning I told the girls okay, new rule. Anytime you two get into a fight that you can't resolve without hurting the other one and having to come run to me you will have to hug for five minutes.

Oh I wish I had gotten a picture of the looks on their faces when I said that. Natalie's jaw dropped and Kaitlyn's eyes got big. They looked at each other and then at me and were like what? Where'd you get that idea? Hahahahahaha, you can see the enthusiasm of this new rule, right?

It wasn't long though before I had to enforce the new rule. That very same night they were fighting over Natalie's lotion. There was some nasty talking and pushing going on so I said okay, now you two have to hug for five minutes.

Natalie: What? Noooooo!

Me: Yup, that's the rule, come on.

And with some hesitation from the both of them this is what we ended up with...



Awww, looks like they love each other. In actuality there was a lot of bumping and pushing during the hug and a few you're squeezing me too tights thrown in there, but all in all I'd say it went pretty well. I actually haven't had to use it in five days. Not too bad considering the fighting is usually a daily thing. I am sure as summer gets here and they are around each other more it will be put to use more often. I guess we'll see.

Oh and FYI kids sure will turn this stuff around on you. Joe and I had been bickering about something after this new rule was instituted and the girls wanted us to hug for 10 minutes. Not needed, since our disagreement was resolved about as quickly as it started. Nice try kids.

1 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Remember, if they hug too tight their 5 minutes starts over! LOL The girls probably LOVE me now huh?! hahahahahahahaa