Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Poetry

April is poetry month. Did you know that? I didn't until I found out at the school. So in honor of poetry month they are having a poetry contest at school. So I wanted to share with you the poem that Natalie submitted. I am totally not a poet by any stretch of the imagination. I hated poetry in school. So I suppose I'm pretty biased here, but this looks like a winner to me! So without further ado...

Me!!!
I’m so friendly
Don’t you want to be friends with
me?

Do you want to know
about me?

I like to read all kinds of books
Mostly I like when Mommy and Grandma
teach me to cook

Do you want to
know more?

I like to draw with my sketch pad
And take trips with my mom and dad

Do you want to
Know MORE?

My sister and I like to play
Connect Four
And I play peek-a-boo with
My brother and the door

Don’t tell me you
Want to hear MORE!!

I like to go fishing with my dad
The worms really aren’t all that bad

And can you guess
There’s not much I don’t like to do
Especially if I’m playing with YOU!


I typed this up for her yesterday to submit. I have no idea when the winner will be announced. Either way though I'm very proud of her. It's a winning poem in my book.

For homework yesterday she had to write another poem about her principal. He is receiving an award in May for being an outstanding principal. There is going to be a luncheon at the school to honor him and some of the students are going to get to get up and say a few words about him or read him a poem they wrote or something. Thus last nights homework for Natalie. Here's what she wrote for that:

Mr. Audette

Mr. Audette is the best!
He is better than all the rest!

He does not yell at us
or make much of a fuss

Mr. Audette is nice I can tell
He doesn't like to yell

Sometimes he takes us for lunch
We like that a Bunch

I've known him for a lot of years
I think he deserves a lot of cheers!

Mr. Audette is the best!
He is better than all the rest!


I'm so glad she didn't get my poem writing inability. I hope everyone is enjoying Poetry Month! Tomorrow is the last day of it.

1 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Those are both GREAT poems!!! I hope she wins!!! Let us know! :)